Saturday, August 10, 2013

"Good To Be Alive" - Skillet Saturday 3



"When all you got are broken dreams
Just need a second chance
And everything you want to be 
Gets taken from your hands"


Right after I graduated High School in 2011, my world was turned upside down.  My parents sat me and my younger brother down and told us what no kids want to hear from their parents. 

"We're getting divorced." 

"This life could almost kill ya
When you’re trying to survive"

So many tears were shed that night as my parents explained why.   All I kept thinking was this is a horrible dream. 

This Can't be happening. Not to me. Not my parents.  Other peoples parents get divorced.  Not mine.  My parents were gonna be together forever.  Forever.  Does anything last forever? Are any relationships forever? God, how could you let this happen?! 

I was so angry at God for allowing everything to happen.  I was mad at my parents for the choices they had made.  I still couldn't wrap my brain around the fact that this was actually happening. 

I called my best friend who was my boyfriend at the time and told him everything that had happened.  He couldn't believe it either.  He told me it was gonna be okay and that he loved me. 

"It’s good to be alive
I was lost and I was gone
I was almost dead inside
You and me against the world
It’s a beautiful night
It’s good to be alive"


Ironically, just days before my parents told me they were getting divorced, me and my best friend of over two years finally admitted to being in love with each other.  I was flying high on a cloud.  I was so happy. It felt so good to be alive and to be able to experience everything that I was feeling and thinking.  Not knowing that only days later I would be wishing I couldn't feel anything.

Late that fateful night my boyfriend came and got me and we just drove around in silence for a long time.  I thought if I could keep from talking about it out loud that maybe it wouldn't happen. 

Despite the happiness my boyfriend caused me in the months to come, I was still in extreme pain while my parents were working over details of the divorce.  I thought life was gonna keep going down hill from there. I questioned God on a daily basis. Asking him if true love existed. If two people could stay together even if the worst should happen. 

My family, close friends and boyfriend surrounded me, my brother and parents with open arms and shoulders to cry on. Offering up pillows as punching bags or ice-cream as a sweet treat. During that whole time, I was overwhelmed with love.  God showed me love is real and that it exists in all forms.  That life was good.  That there was a light at the end of the tunnel, if I just kept moving. 

"Driving down this highway
Soaking up the sun
Got miles to go before we get home
And the journey’s just begun
We hold onto each other
You are everything I need
You feel like forever
You’re a second chance for me"


 God showed up and was on my side the whole time.  I love that saying about walking with God in the sand, and when you ask God where he was when you look at the one set of footprints during the hardest moments of your life, God looks back at you and says that's where I carried you.  Looking back know, I see God placed so many people in my life during that time that just loved on me and my family. 


"It’s good to be alive
I was lost and I was gone
I was almost dead inside
You and me against the world
It’s a beautiful night
It’s good to be alive

It’s beautiful night
Yeah, it’s all right
It’s good to be alive"

I believe that God puts people in our lives when we need them the most. Or when they need us.  My grandmother told me, "Friends are like the ever changing seasons. In blooming one minute, gone the next winter due to frostbite. "   I always hated that.  I hated how so many of my friends of the last few years came and left for different reasons.  Sometimes to this day I still hate it.  But now that I'm somewhat older I'm glad its this way.  I'm a different person than I was a few years back. Hopefully I've changed for the better as I attempt to adjust to this so called life as an adult.

And the light at the end of the tunnel was that my parents stayed together. I Thank God that so many people were praying for my parents marriage that when they went to sign the papers there was a change in hearts.  

 As much as the whole situation sucked, I'm glad I went through it because now I can relate to so many others and give them the hope that was given to me when I was hopeless and forgetting how good it was to be alive. 

******

(Song video and lyrics listed below after the contest details)

******

Want to Win Skillet's new CD Rise? Enter my Instagram contest! 

How ya enter:
1. Snap a pic of what your sick of

Featured  Photo (above)  from Instagram contest:  User:  @memoriesnlockets / we have a shoe problem.   Sick of Dirty shoes everywhere lol  #skilletsaturday_sos84  #sos84_contest

2.  Tag me in it @Nxt_Left 

3. Hashtag it  --   #skilletsaturday_sos84 ,  #sos84_contest 

4. Share the contest and tell others to like your picture! (If your account is private the photos can't be viewed :(  )

*I'll be featuring some of my favorites every Saturday on my blog until the contest is over :) 

*This contest will end when I finish the Skillet Saturday Series.  The Winner will be picked randomly and if the contest goes well I'll pick more than one winner! So plenty of time to win! :D Spread the word, share it, like it,ect!  So excited to see your photos!!!! 


******

Skillet - "Good to be Alive" 2013  (With interlude to "Not Gonna Die" at the end. AHHHHHH!!!!! Can I just say next saturday is one of my favorite songs off the album! Love the interlude and the crazy rock n roll in "not gonna die".  focus lol.  Link Below)


http://youtu.be/xW2kWbuTb2E

"Good To Be Alive"  (Lyrics)


When all you got are broken dreams
Just need a second chance
And everything you want to be
Gets taken from your hands
We hold onto each other
All we have is all we need
Because one way or another
We always thank it’s you and me

This life could almost kill ya
When you’re trying to survive
It’s good to be here with ya
And it’s good to be alive

It’s good to be alive
I was lost and I was gone
I was almost dead inside
You and me against the world
It’s a beautiful night
It’s good to be alive

It’s good to be alive
It’s good to be alive
It’s good to be alive
It’s good to be alive
It’s good to be alive

Driving down this highway
Soaking up the sun
Got miles to go before we get home
And the journey’s just begun
We hold onto each other
You are everything I need
You feel like forever
You’re a second chance for me

This life could almost kill ya
When you’re trying to survive
It’s good to be here with ya
And it’s good to be alive

It’s good to be alive
I was lost and I was gone
I was almost dead inside
You and me against the world
It’s a beautiful night
It’s good to be alive

It’s beautiful night
Yeah, it’s all right
It’s good to be alive

This life could almost kill ya
When you’re trying to survive
It’s good to be here with ya
It’s good to be alive

It’s good to be alive
It’s good to be alive
It’s good to be alive
It’s good to be alive
It’s good to be alive

And it’s good to be alive
It’s good to be alive
I was lost and I was gone
I was almost dead inside
You and me against the world
It’s a beautiful night
It’s good to be alive

It’s beautiful night
Yeah, it’s all right
It’s good to be alive



******
Check out the first two posts in the Skillet Saturday Series! 

"Rise" - Skillet Saturday 1




"Sick Of It" - Skillet Saturday 2




See ya back here next Saturday with "Not Gonna Die" 
~KayLeigh

No comments:

Post a Comment